Wednesday 10 October 2018

A Star is Born (2018) - Cinema Review

Review:

*Originally written October 9th, 2018*

I'd never seen a previous adaptation of this story, but with Bradley Cooper directing his first film and being very impressed by the trailers, I was intrigued, but nothing prepared me for a film of this maturity, honesty and craft. I was unsure going in, I just didn't expect to be this blown away going out.

I've got a real soft spot for these music set dramas. To my surprise this isn't really a musical in the traditional sense, there's musical performances, sure, but it all feels fluid and organic. No one just jumps into song and dance, which I honestly find a little grating and why I'm not the biggest fan of musicals. I much preferred the music being reserved for actual scenes taking place on a stage.

Instead this is just a powerful and honest story about an aspiring star getting into a relationship with a fading country singer. It goes to some very dark and uncomfortable places as Bradley Cooper's Jack starts to succumb to his addictions, putting Lady Gaga's Ally's music career in a compromising place.

I had this concern it might go to drama for dramas sake. Making the film over 2 hours was a really smart choice. We see Jack and Ally's relationship start as he discovers her singing in a drag bar and chooses to launch her career as it begins to overshadow his. Cooper's performance is incredible, an utter powerhouse of emotion and some of the best and hard to watch drunk acting I've seen. It was depressing and uncomfortable to watch, but it was effective. I'd be amazed if he doesn't get at least an Oscar nomination.




As a first time director, Cooper is also creating some of the best work I've seen from his career. He has the craft and care of a director who's been working for decades. I couldn't believe for his first film he managed to balance so many plates and deliver such a compelling and hard-hitting drama. He's a real talent and I cannot wait to see what he does next. He hits at relevant themes of fame, jealousy, depression and alcoholism in ways that feel shockingly real and honest. I can never see this one ageing badly.

My biggest question mark behind A Star is Born going in was Lady Gaga's performance. A tiny role in Sopranos aside, I'd only ever seen her act in American Horror Story, which was tacky trash. but she pulled off an over the top villainess in the context of the show, so I was interested to see if she could pull of a serious drama. And she does, she really holds her own and has real chemistry with Cooper, bringing natural emotion to the proceedings, making things feel real and making that ending so damn hard to watch. It helps she's also a natural talent when it comes to singing and she shines in the much earlier songs before her career turns to tacky pop crap. Which I assume was the point.

The earlier songs in the film are so great. This is easily the best original soundtrack of the year and I know I'll be listening to a lot of these songs again. I loved all the country and rock stuff in the first acts, but while I wasn't keen on the later poppy stuff, it was natural to the film. I was also surprised at how strong Cooper's singing voice was too, he really held his own and delivered some genuinely great songs.

I can't get over how beautiful this film was too. It's filled with gorgeous shots with incredible lighting that won't leave my head for a while. The cinematography was something being rightfully pointed out when the trailers first started dropping, but I was pleased to see the film was incredible to look at all the way through. I can't believe Matthew Libatique was the cinematographer on this and Venom released in the same week. What a contrast.


A Star is Born is a masterwork, a timeless and powerful tale that gets the best of everyone involved. It's a beautiful, bleak and depressing masterpiece and might just be the film of the year by the end of it. This one is gonna sweep at the Oscars. Deservedly.

10/10 Dans

A Star is Born is out now in cinemas in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...