Friday 3 November 2017

Seed of Chucky (2004) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written November 3rd, 2017*

"Chucky Goes Bananas"

While many believe Seed of Chucky to be the absolute low point of the series, I actually find it to be one of my favourites. Sure, it swaps any actual horror for campy nonsense, but I actually really love the absolute creative insanity on display here as Chucky goes to Hollywood.

This is by far the most crazy and bizarre of the franchise. Chucky gets a child who can't decide his gender, gets caught masturbating into a cup by a photographer, Jennifer Tilly plays herself in an inspired choice, Chucky kills Britney Spears and a lot of other stuff happens. It's batshit bonkers and I loved it.

I'm not massively sure how I feel about Chucky and Tiffany's child 'Glen' or 'Glenda' in a fun homage to that Ed Wood movie I should probably see. He's a character that looks a bit freaky and gets a little annoying. I would like to see him return in a future film though.


Some of the kills are also marred by some of the worst CGI in the franchise (It never hits the lows of the truck kill in Bride of Chucky though). A lot of the kills have good ideas on paper, but the execution looks cheap and a bit rubbish. It's a shame too. This easily feels like the cheapest of the Chucky films.

There's not too much to say about Seed of Chucky. I know a lot of people hate it, but I have a lot of fun with just how mental this film gets. I also prefer it a lot more than Curse of Chucky, which I just found to be a bit boring. Thankfully Cult returned the series to the more campy tone with some gruesome violence. I wish they'd do some truly crazy in the future. Chucky in Space? Maybe.

7/10 Dans

Seed of Chucky is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...