Wednesday 22 August 2018

Rampage (2018) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written August 22nd, 2018*

I might have been a bit harsh on Rampage the first time I saw it, I don't think I was in the mood and it made me hate it more than it deserved. Don't get me wrong, this is still a mess of a film, but it has its moments and is still one of better video game film adaptations. Part of me is glad I bit the bullet and picked up the Blu and rewatched it.

You should know what to expect from a film where Dwayne Johnson has to save his friend George (An ape) after a mysterious substance enters his cage and turns him huge and homicidal. There's also a giant wolf and crocodile involved too. After seeing the big dumb pathetic mess that was Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, it made me appreciate this much more. 

My main problem is probably with the characters. Dwayne Johnson is playing the same character he plays every film. He's got charm and charisma, but him doing the same routine over and over again has finally gotten old. I'd say the abysmal Skyscraper was the final breaking point for me, but this comes close. By far the best part was the relationship between Johnson and George, I just have a soft spot for apes, but there is some charm and chemistry between Johnson and the giant CGI creation. 


I forgot just how weird Jeffrey Dean Morgan is in this too. A Texas cowboy with a weird swagger that makes him come off more sociopathic than cool. His mean spirited treatment of one of the bad guys at the end was really odd to me and just didn't sit right with tone of this film. 

For a film about 3 rampaging creatures, there is very little action too. Most of it builds up to the final battle, in which the 3 creatures finally meet up in the city for the Rampage. While the last act is by far the most entertaining, it is a drag to get there, despite the short 100 minute run-time. There is a cool moment paying homage to Aliens early on, but that moment is far too brief and fleeting. I was surprised at some of gore and violence they were aloud to get away with in a 12A, but I seem to say that a lot. I guess times are changing and dumb family friendly aimed blockbusters are aloud to be edgier.


While it's far from great, you get what you expect from Rampage, a film best on an '80s arcade game and while it is a bit of a slog to get through, it picks up and feels sorta worth it by the end. Of the two overpriced blockbusters Dwayne Johnson has starred in this year, this is by far the best.

5/10 Dans

Rampage is out now on 4K UHD, Blu-ray and DVD in the UK. With a Blu-ray steelbook available from HMV. 

Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...