Wednesday 3 October 2018

Fight Club (1999) - Film Review



Review:

*Originally written October 3rd, 2018*

There's not a lot better than seeing one of your favourite films on the big screen and while it was a struggle for Fight Club to get to that position for me (I found it a bit just angry and pointless when I first watched it, but it grew on me with each watch). It's easy to see why Fight Club has endured the test of time and is still a benchmark with film students all over the world. 

I will argue that the fanbase of Fight Club have completely got the wrong message from this film. Despite clearly being a satire on toxic masculinity and the dangers of blindly following a charismatic leader, some people seem to have taken this as a hate-fuelled rampage on capitalism and lack of freedom in your life. Which is true, the film does tell audiences what they want to hear through Tyler, but by the end of it, if you're smart enough, you see it as a take-down of nihilistic idiots who thing the stuff they do is cool. 

It's probably due to Brad Pitt's utterly charismatic and infinitely dickish Tyler Durden. A rebel who lives on the outskirts of society and ends up changing the lives of the working men around him, telling them exactly what they want to hear and how meaningless their lives are. I know Durden is a completely smug, self-important dick, but there's something about him I like. I find it easy to understand why anyone would want to do the things he asks of them. Or maybe I'm just shallow and would easy be won over by Brad Pitt in his sexiest '90s prime.

While Brad Pitt's Tyler Durden is easily the talk of the film, Edward Norton's unnamed narrator and Helena Bonham Carter's performances both excellent too. Norton takes the role of the audience, carried along by Durden's insane. He's the every man who is frustrated with his boring 9-5 job, meaningless attachments to designer furniture and suffers from insomnia. His evolution from every man to accidental terrorist leader is a fascinating one and Norton nails it scene to scene. 


Bonham Carter also easily gives the best performance of her career. There's something about Marla Singer I've always liked, she's the manic, unlikable love interest carried along for the ride and eventually has no idea what's she getting into. But there's something oddly charming about her performance, making her watchable, I've never liked Bonham Carter as an actress, but she really works here. Plus she's responsible for the best line of the entire film. " I haven't been fucked like that since grade school".

As a satirical crime drama, I always forget how much black comedy there is here, it's genuinely one of the funniest films ever made. From the opening scenes of Norton attending self-help groups made for people dying of cancer, to the utter insanity of and reach of Tyler's actions, it's incredibly funny and I love every second of it. I was upset none of my friends noticed the cock shot spliced in during the final scene though.

David Fincher is also one of my favourite directors and this is by far the best of his work. It's incredible how much CGI is involved in Fight Club and how much it sill holds up. Fight Club is an ugly film to look at, but that works in its favour, it's dark, grimy and extremely violent. Fincher wanted to deliver an ugly look on America and it works. I'd love to see this remastered in 4K at some point. Fincher's direction keeps everything going and while being nearly 2 and a half hours long, it's constantly engaging and moves at a fast pace, packed with creative film-making and style. While it is ugly, there are some gorgeous and iconic shots littered throughout, that final scene is still beautiful. 

I have to mention the score from the Dust Brothers too, from the opening moments its a pulsating score that matches the films aggressive tone perfectly. Even the opening titles are loud and in your face. It is perfect. I wish they had scored more stuff outside of Fight Club. Great use of Pixies at the end too.

I understand that people don't love this film and I get that. For some people it's either too angry, violent or grotesque for them to enjoy. Or they get the wrong message from it like I did when I first saw it. But for me, Fight Club ranks easily as one of my favourite films ever. I love it more and more with every watch, everything just clicks with me and I'll continue to watch it for years to come. Long live Tyler Durden. I'm gonna go petrol bomb a Starbucks or something.

10/10 Dans

Fight Club is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:


Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...