Wednesday 5 September 2018

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) - Blu-ray Review

Review:

*Originally written September 5th, 2018*

There is so very little to cover with Four Weddings and a Funeral, so I'll keep it brief. It's your typical Richard Curtis affair, we've got the quirky British comedy, unearned sentimentality and Hugh Grant just being absolutely charming.

Richard Curtis is just such an awful writer, but there's something about his work that just keeps me coming back to it. This is one of the last of his films I had yet to see (With only The Boat that Rocked left to go). I can't quite put my finger on it. There just such easy watching, lowest of the low and easy to watch films.

It doesn't help that I find Hugh Grant just immensely charming either. He a borderline anime actor that is just the peak of British awkwardness, but every second he's on screen, I just eat it up. I don't understand. Help me, please. I know I'm better than enjoying tripe like this.


While it barely earns its 2 hour run time, there are some genuinely funny moments littered throughout and a lot of jokes that do not hit at all. I don't know, I need to rethink my life. I wish Richard Curtis made films more frequently. Shit, his next film is going to be directed by Danny Boyle. What the hell is going on? I also forgot this was from the director of Donnie Brasco. What?

The biggest shock I got from Four Weddings is the use of the line "Fuck-a-doodle-do" which I'd always associated with Shaun of the Dead, but I guess it came from this. I don't know how to process this. Richard Curtis has scrambled my brain. God bless you, Curtis. You absolute maniac of a writer with one of the most punchable faces I've ever seen. Never change.

"If you write a story about a soldier going AWOL and kidnapping a pregnant woman and finally shooting her in the head, it's called searingly realistic, even though it's never happened in the history of mankind. Whereas if you write about two people falling in love, which happens about a million times a day all over the world, for some reason or another, you're accused of writing something unrealistic and sentimental." Richard Curtis

If you needed anymore proof that Richard Curtis is an utter maniac, just read that quote above again.

6/10 Dans

Four Weddings and a Funeral is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...