Wednesday 5 September 2018

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975) - Blu-ray Review

Review:

*Originally written September 5th, 2018*

Well, that was disappointing. I'm seeing glowing reviews all over the place for this thing and I just left it feeling cold and disgusted (Which I assume was the intention. As is far from an easy watch). Salo has a reputation as one of the most horrific and grotesque films ever made, and while this is probably true, I found myself mostly just bored and disinterested most of the time. I might just be so desensitised to content like this, but aside from a few moments, I found it kinda... tame?

I'm just having trouble trying to wrap my head around this. The story is so thread bare. A group of 18 teenagers (9 girls, 9 boys) are kidnapped by some rich Italians and force into 120 days of extreme sexual torture and humiliation during World War 2. It's nasty and unpleasant, but it lacks any kind of lead or anyone to hold on to. None of the characters are anything. I can't even remember a single name (If they even did get named).

I give it props for its experimentation and willingness to push boundaries. It's just whatever the film was going for was completely lost on me. I get that fascism is evil. It's at least beautifully shot and filled with great production design. This film has really broken me, even with the forgettable characters, the performances are universally awful. The bad guys are all so over the top and cartoony, although the look of them has an unsettling edge to them.


I don't know, it was Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom. Experimental art-house horror from Italy that did so little for me. I appreciate it you do like this but, for the experience was lost on me. Will probably revisit at some point.... I am glad I watched this though. It's still interesting to see films that push boundaries and what not, even with how tame I felt it was by today's standards.

2/10 Dans

Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews
Instagram: @thesurprisingadventuresofdanb
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...