Thursday 31 August 2017

Inland Empire (2006) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written August 30th, 2017*

"Lynch Me"

Well, I've now seen every single one of David Lynch's films. It's been a weird, weird, but compelling and incredible ride. One I imagine I'll only appreciate more with each watch.

Inland Empire is by FAR Lynch's least accessible work to date. And that is saying something. The story of an actress losing her mind in an abstract and confusing way (Which is the point with Daddy Lynch). 

I think I might enjoy this more on rewatches (Like I say with every Lynch film), but I'm not really sure how I felt about the look of the film, which was shot on standard definition. It's a weird choice. It made things look very amateur, with an almost documentary, on-the-fly like feel. 

I have to admit, that Inland Empire felt far too long though. I watched this in one sitting and it was a little bit of a challenge to get to the end. Laura Dern was fantastic though, possibly the best performance I've seen from her.

I'm currently going through the Twin Peaks revival series, which is some of my favourite work from Lynch right now (See it, it's awesome). But, compared to Lynch's other work, it feels like a bit of a downer note to end his film career on, but I did like it for the most part.


I do hope to see Lynch return to film once the Twin Peaks revival is over. I'm in dire need of more and new Lynch in the cinema.

6/10 Dans

Inland Empire is out now on Blu-ray and DVD in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews@DanBremner96 and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @DanBremner96 and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...