Monday 21 August 2017

Wind River (2017) - Film Review

Review:

*Originally written August 21st, 2017*

"Cold Crime"

Taylor Sheridan might have written Hell or High Water and Sicario (Two of the best films of their year), but he's not directed anything till Wind River. And you'd think he was a seasoned director which the excellence of display with this violent, bleak and engaging thriller.

It really helped going in knowing nothing about Wind River. I'd never seen a trailer or even read a plot synopsis, so I was going in blind (It was also the Odeon Screen Unseen this month, so I had no idea I was seeing it till I walked into the screening). 

This was an engaging and insanely tense film. The mystery at the centre of the film involves a murdered girl found in the middle of the snow in Wyoming. A hunter and FBI agent are brought together to solve the crime and what exactly happened.


There are obvious similarities to Sheridan's Sicario. Wind River also involves a female FBI put out of her depth in a scenario she doesn't fully understand, making her seem cold to the locals and their ways. Elizabeth Olsen is great in her role, as is Jeremy Renner as the hunter helping her, he really is wasted in the Marvel Universe, showcasing a much stronger and well-rounded performance here than the ones he's usually wasted in.

The central mystery is one of constant engagement, leaving me constantly intrigued. I was at the edge of my seat a lot. It's perfectly paced and went by like nothing. I can't believe this was nearly 2 hours, I was convinced it was around the 90 mark. The final act was some of the most intense stuff I've seen all year, with some well staged action and well realised revelations. 

My only real complaints is there were some weird scenes throughout that didn't quite make sense. Olsen's character walks in on a character slashing her on wrists, and her reaction wasn't to call an ambulance, but to apologise for walking in the room and forgetting about it. They also hint at a romance at the end, which felt unnecessary and tacked on for some easy resolution to the story.


It's rare a film like this comes around where everyone's character motivations make sense. Renner's character was well-rounded and had a great arc. His silent, didn't talk much performance bought a lot to an obviously damaged character. I kinda wish the opening act explored him just doing his job as a hunter more.


Wind River is an excellent directorial debut from Taylor Sheridan, a tense, well though-out thriller that I'm sure I'll grow to love more on rewatches. I can't wait to see him do more as a director and writer.

8/10 Dans

Wind River releases in cinemas on September 8th in the UK
Watch the trailer below:

Follow us:
Twitter: @FigmentReviews@DanBremner96 and @ArronRoke91
Instagram: @DanBremner96 and @ArronRoke
YouTube: Figment Reviews 
Letterboxd: Dan and Arron

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (2019) - PS4 Review

Review: *Originally written November 19th, 2019* There's no denying that EA has had a bad run with the Star Wars franchise since i...